Are you ready to Rum-Ball?!... Sorry I had to throw that in there somewhere...
If rum balls don't remind you of Christmas then I don't know what does! I'm not a rum advocate in the slightest, but I do know that rum mixed in with chocolate and other delicious ingredients makes the best Christmas treats..EVER!
My love for Rum Balls goes back many years. I was at a friends house and her mum had just whipped up a fresh batch of (rather unhealthy but delicious) Rum Balls. After 1 (or 3) balls, I was convinced that they were the BEST thing ever (or perhaps it was the rum kicking in?).
It wasn't until I was looking at a traditional Rum Ball recipe a few weeks ago and realised how unhealthy they actually are! It's now obvious why my 13ish year old self was so obsessed..yikes!
So, in hopes of bringing back my childhood memories, I went straight to the kitchen and whipped up my own batch of healthified (it's a word okay) Rum Balls. It's safe to say, after my first and only attempt, I nailed it!
...But I'll let you decide for yourself! Here's the recipe:
Vegan | Dairy Free | Refined Sugar Free | Paleo | Guilt Free
Makes: 17 balls
1/2 cup almond butter (any other nut butter will work too)
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup cacao
1/2 cup 100% pure maple syrup (or liquid sweetener of your choice)
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup almond meal
1/2 cup desiccated coconut + 1/4 cup for rolling
1/2 cup coconut flour
Pinch of sea salt
1. Add the almond butter, coconut oil, cacao, maple syrup, rum, vanilla essence and salt in a large mixing bowl and gently mix together using a spatula or whisk until it forms glossy, runny chocolate.
2. Using a spatula, slowly add in the almond meal, coconut flour and desiccated coconut. Take your time to mix the dry ingredients into the chocolate until everything is well combined.
3. Use a spoon to scoop out even sized balls - I made my balls 35g each which was roughly the size of a ping pong ball.
4. Roll the mixture into balls using the palms of your hands and then coat them in the desiccated coconut.
5. Place all of the balls on a tray and put them in the freezer for roughly 1 hour to firm.
6. Transfer the balls into an airtight container and keep them in the fridge or freezer.
P.s. These Rum Balls are the perfect homemade Christmas gift! Just put them in a glass jar or cute box with a nice bow and you've got yourself a thoughtful and delicious gift that's made with love!
I hope you love my Rum Ball recreation!
Don't forget to send me a message on Instagram and let me know your thoughts!